April 12, 2012

Getting to Know You: Sandra Timmons

By Rachel Camacho

Sandra Timmons joined SVP with her husband, Richard Sandstrom, in May of 2011. As a first year Partner, it’s plain to see she has picked up and implemented the SVP values and mission like a seasoned pro. Sandra thoughtfully gives input and shares her ideas. Her clarity and perceptive insight allow her to encourage change, as opposed to only see problems.

Upon meeting Sandra, one will notice that she gives her full attention, and she greets you with a beaming smile. The SVP family was greeted by her warmth and generosity at last year’s holiday party that she and Richard graciously hosted. In addition to ensuring everything was in place and ready, she welcomed each guest personally, an art that is becoming lost in this age of text messages and emails.

The SVP staff had the pleasure of getting to know Sandra a little better, and her commitment to strengthening the San Diego community is inspiring. Our Investees will be very fortunate to have someone helping them increase their capacity who is as passionate and enthusiastic as Sandra Timmons!

Why did you join SVP?
I have been involved with nonprofits for many years and have seen them struggle to become sustainable. I knew there had to be a better way. I heard about SVP and saw how much there was to learn.

How are you involved with SVP?
I am on the Outcome Planning Resource Team and participated in this year’s Investment Working Group, including a site visit to one of the finalist organizations. My husband and I also hosted the holiday party.

What are you getting out of your SVP experience?
I am learning so much - how to measure the value of a nonprofit and how their impact influences support. I am meeting great people and giving direction to my own philanthropy.

If you’re in the car in the morning, what do you listen to?
I am a public affairs junkie so I listen to NPR. When I was a producer at KPBS I had to read all three local papers, and I did so willingly. I used to cut up papers, pulling out interesting tidbits and story ideas. Now, even though I don’t need the programming ideas, I still do it, keeping a new digital scrapbook.

What do you think that says about you?
I think you can only affect that which you can touch, i.e. your near environment, so I try to keep up on what is going on around me, I guess because I want to effect change.

On the weekends, what do you look forward to most?
In the morning, reading the newspapers over a cup of coffee. And in the evening I look forward to listening to classical music while drinking a glass of wine.

One thing you could not live without...
I could not live without friends, family and sharing good food together. Life would be way too lonely.

No comments: