June 1, 2010

Meet Partner, John Burnett!

By Lori Thiel

New SDSVP Partner John Burnett, President of John Burnett Marketing in Carlsbad specializes in corporate, legal and non-profit marketing. Dr. Burnett was Professor of Marketing at the University of Denver, Daniels College of Business and Director of the University of Denver Marketing Roundtable and has taught marketing for over 41 years, earning tenure at six universities.

In corporate America, John taught in the senior management program for AT&T for 10 years and was also a partner in the marketing firm and interactive agency Scenario d LLC. He has served as an expert witness on intellectual property/marketing for 20 years.

John has worked in the nonprofit sector for 25 years with such organizations as The Boys Club of America, The American Red Cross, Lubbock General Hospital, the National Parks Service, the Denver Zoo, and Easter Seals.

He is a prolific author with over 70 articles and 20 college-level and trade books to his credit. Now in retirement he plans to continue writing and helping small profit and nonprofit firms.

He took a few moments to answer some questions about himself for us:

1. How did you come to be involved with SDSVP?

Since moving from Denver to Carlsbad in May of 2009 I connected with Parker Pike and his programs at UCSD. SDSVP was mentioned by several of the people I met. However, at the recent AMA Cause Conference a few weeks ago, I shared the stage with Duane Trombly. He sold me on the benefits of becoming a Partner.

2. What is the best thing about being involved in SDSVP?

So far the best thing has been the people. I have thoroughly enjoyed meeting friendly, committed, intelligent, and professional individuals.

3. What is your favorite place in the world and why?

Undoubtedly, my favorite place is the Hawaiian Islands. I have been there 15 times over the years. The attraction is the culture, the beauty, and the feeling of peace I experience when I'm there.

4. Please tell us about your family.

My wife, Nancy, has recently retired as a psychotherapist. She is also an author and teacher. We have been married for forty-four years and have three grown children. Laura, age 42, lives in Ft. Collins, CO. She is a brain-injury survivor and the reason why I have committed to working with nonprofits. Michael, age 37, is a photojournalist and lives with his wife, Katherine and daughter, Sadie, in Cardiff. David, age 32, is a social worker living in Denver.

5. Please tell us about favorite pets.

We have no current pets, but my favorite was our Lab, Pat, who loved running in the mountains.

6. How do you spend your days off?

Since I retired last June, all my days are off. However, my favorite activities are writing, working with nonprofits, walking, and playing with my granddaughter.

7. Please tell us about a personal project you can't wait to finish.

I am trying to learn how to use social media.

8. Please tell us one of the most useful things you ever learned.

I have learned empathy spending time with families affected by brain injuries.

9. What will you be reading on the beach this summer?

John Irving's "Last Night in Twisted River."

10. Nobody in SDSVP knows that...I am a life long Cubs fan.

No comments: