May 3, 2010

Say Hello to New Partner, Scott Arnold!

By Lori Thiel

Scott Arnold, 50, is always on the go. Maybe it's a holdover from his days as a "GM brat" as he calls himself. He spent his early years growing up in and around Motor City, did a stint in New York, went back to Michigan where he earned a BA in accounting and an MBA in finance, and ultimately wound up in San Diego in the early 90s. He has been to 34 countries, and in May he takes a long-term project assignment in Austin, TX to help his company, Life Technologies headquartered in Carlsbad, turn around its operations there. Nevertheless, Scott gave us the opportunity to chat with him before he packed up to go to Texas:

What do you like best about SDSVP?
I like its people and purpose. Either one without the other doesn't interest me.

What is your favorite place in the world and why?
I've been all over the world, and have fond memories of everywhere I’ve been, but my answer is cliche: the beach area at Torrey Pines. I like being outdoors, running along the water. It's scenic and it just feels comfortable there.

Please tell us about your family.
I'm not married and have no kids, but I do have four brothers, six nieces and nephews, and a fish called Wanda ;-)

Who are your favorite pets, past or current?
I have no pets currently, but as a child we had a beagle named Penny. She was a great dog!

How do you spend your days off?
Tennis, cycling, exercise, skiing, catching up with friends....

Please tell us about a project or dream.
I’ve got a dream to buy or lead a small company. I like the feel of small…I’ve never been comfortable in a crowd….

What industry?
Maybe it'd be a software company.

What is your most prized possession and why?
I’m not much of a “possession” guy – maybe I’m most appreciative of my family. But my second answer is my silver corvette [laughter].

What is your most impressive useless talent?
I'm from Detroit and am a big car guy. As a child I could identify cars in the dark strictly by looking at their headlights and taillights.

No one in SDSVP knows that...
1. I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. [At this point interviewer gasps and pleads for an explanation.] Not a fan of hot bitter drinks…..
2. As a child I played violin and was invited to play Carnegie Hall but turned down the offer. [Again, interviewer gasps and requests more information.] It didn't seem cool in fourth or fifth grade.

No comments: